Here’s a few links to some short guides that illustrate how to use Xythos at SBCC. Xythos is a web file-sharing management system that is being used as the backbone of a number of e-portfolio systems at other colleges and universities. Note, I’ve also posted a link to a series of web-based flash videos that you can watch. As before, you’ll need a high speed Internet connection in order to view the videos.
Collecting student work — Don’t recommend using Xythos as a tool to collect student homework, etc., because it is fraught with potential problems such as students accessing and copying other classmates’ work and ideas, as well as seeing teacher comments made on other students’ work, etc., a potential confidentiality issue. Instead, I suggest teachers use an LMS tool such as Moodle’s assignment tool.
- Supporting peer review (embedded comments ) of students’ work (pdf file)
- Supporting student e-portfolios (pdf file)
- Sharing documents with SBCC colleagues (see video link below)
- Sharing documents with non-SBCC staff (see video link below)
- Using Xythos as a group collaboration tool (pdf file)
- Questions about access rights or permissions (pdf file)
- When to use Xythos tickets, when not (pdf file)