Banner – for accessing class rosters, add authorization codes, and submitting final grades
Web videos – http://frc.sbcc.edu/tutorials/portal/start
Closed-captioned versions – http://frc.sbcc.edu/tutorials/banner_cc/
As most of you already know, the College makes us of Banner for our student information system. Faculty are now be required to perform the following course-related responsibilities using the online Banner system.
- Print your own rosters (Admissions will NOT be sending paper rosters to you via intra-campus mail)
- Check rosters for add, drop and withdrawal deadlines. Deadlines are now specific to each section based on daily attendance accounting.
- Waitlists and Add Authorization Codes – When a class is created, it is determined if the class will have a waitlist or just add codes. If a waitlist is implemented, when a class is filled, a student trying to add the class will be given the option to add himself to the waitlist. On the first day of instruction for the class, the add code list in class roster is available to instructors. Students who are on the waitlist when the semester starts will also need an Add code if the teacher is able to add more students.
- Submit your No Show Drops online (no paper drop roster but submit them online)
- Drop students for non-attendance online through the last day to withdraw deadlines
- Enter final grades and positive attendance (if applicable) online.
To assist you with learning these new skills, you can sign up for only one of the training sessions using the SBCC flex web site http://flex.sbcc.edu. For faculty members unable to attend campus-based training, there are web-based Banner training videos at http://frc.sbcc.edu choose the Tutorials link. You can also download our paper guide (PDF file) to Getting Started with SBCC Portal/Banner.
We are very excited with the capabilities of the new system and are pleased with our experiences to date. Class registration has gone well and we are sure you will find the new self-service system easy to learn and operate.
If students come to you with questions about using the Banner system for registering for their classes, you can offer them the following alternatives for assistance: 1) send them to the Student Technical Help Desk located in the Cyber Center (CC-228) where there is daily training from 1:00 2:00 p.m. 2) have them contact the Student Help Desk at http://support.sbcc.edu 3) have them call the Student Help Desk (805) 987-3549.
If you have any questions about the Banner training options, contact the Faculty Resource Center at extension 2861, or email@example.com. If you have trouble accessing or logging into Banner, contact the college’s Information Technology (IT) help desk at 805-965-0581, X2215 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before you get started, take a moment to review the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) regarding the disclosure/non-disclosure of student information including student grades, etc.
- FERPA website (http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html)
- National Academic Advising website – to see examples (http://www.nacada.ksu.edu/Resources/FERPA-Overview.htm)