Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


AP Scores

Transcript Evaluations

Starfish Degree Planner

Additional Information



What is the deadline to submit my official transcripts to Santa Barbara City College (SBCC)?  Official transcripts are processed on a rolling basis. We highly recommend you submit official transcripts from all external institutions immediately upon enrollment at SBCC.

For submission deadlines for clearance of prerequisites/corequisites, please check here.

How long does it take to for my official transcripts to be evaluated using the Transcript, AP, and Prerequisite Evaluation Request (TAPPER) online form? Official transcripts are evaluated in the order they are received. Generally, California Community College transcripts are evaluated within twelve (12) weeks.*

For prerequisite/corequisite processing times, please check here.

*Excludes holidays, weekends, and closures. Timelines are subject to change without notification.

How do I submit my official transcripts? Click here for instructions on how to submit your OFFICIAL transcripts to SBCC Admissions & Records. 

Transcripts sent to the Transcript Evaluation Office are NOT accepted and will not be processed. Unofficial transcripts are NOT accepted and will not be processed. 

Documents submitted to SBCC become the property of SBCC and are subject to federal laws, including The Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA).

How can I find out if my official transcripts have been received by SBCC? Follow these step-by-step instructions.

AP Scores

How do I submit my Advanced Placement (AP) Scores? SBCC accepts AP scores issued from College Board. For fastest processing, follow the instructions on our Advanced Placement page to submit a copy of your "Student Score Report."

Documents submitted to SBCC become the property of SBCC and are subject to federal laws, including The Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA).

How long does it take for my AP scores to be reviewed? Most AP Score Reports are reviewed within 2 business days, but it can take up to 10 business days from the time we receive your Score Report.* 

*Excludes holidays, weekends, and closures. Timelines are subject to change without notification.

Why don't I see all of my AP exam scores? Make sure we have your most up-to-date score report by emailing a copy (see directions above) to

At this time Starfish Degree Planner is under development and may not show all of the ways your AP scores can fulfill requirements. Please check the Advanced Placement Chart to see how credit is awarded for AP scores

Transcript Evaluations

How do I find out when my evaluation is complete?  Check the TAPPER online form for the status of your evaluation request. You will also be contacted at your SBCC campus email address when your evaluation is complete.

Where can I see how my external coursework applies toward my educational goals at SBCC? If you have a student educational plan (SEP) in Starfish Degree Planner you will be able to see the results of your evaluation on the Requirements tab of your plan. See the Starfish Degree Planner page for more information.

Why don't I see all of my coursework from other schools displayed in Starfish Degree Planner? At this time, student education plans (SEP) in Starfish Degree Planner primarily display the following: Coursework from SBCC, coursework from other California Community Colleges (click here for a list of schools), AP scores, and SBCC assessment scores. 

Please also note that Starfish Degree Planner is still under development and there may be technical issues or glitches. If you see an error on your audit please email

Reasons you may not see your coursework from external institutions:

  • Most common: SBCC did not receive your external official transcripts and you have not requested a review of your transcript. Transcripts must be official and evaluations must be requested
  • External coursework must be complete to be evaluated. In-progress coursework is not evaluated.
  • Depending on your general education pattern and/or educational goal your transfer coursework may not display; however, it has been recorded on your student academic history.
  • Coursework completed prior to Summer 1983 is not evaluated by the Transcript Evaluation Office. Contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.
  • Your plan may not include coursework from non-California Community Colleges. If you have transcripts from UC, CSU, private, out of state, or international institutions please contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.
  • Santa Barbara City College grants lower division subject and/or unit credit for most coursework completed at regionally accredited institutions of higher learning. Only in very limited circumstances can upper-division coursework be used to clear certain requirements at SBCC. 

Will math courses from other institutions count toward requirements at SBCC? Many math courses from other California Community Colleges are accepted in place of courses offered by SBCC. Check the Math Matrix* to see substitutes for SBCC math courses. If you have coursework from non-California Community Colleges please contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.

*On the Math Matrix click "Enable Editing."  Scroll over courses marked in red to see additional topics you need to study on your own time in order to be prepared for the next level course.

If an external course is not equivalent to a course from SBCC, but I think it meets the program requirements, what are my options? Course substitutions are permitted for some programs. Contact an Academic Counselor for assistance. 

Will my external transcript GPA be included on my SBCC transcript? The GPA from your external coursework is not calculated or included in the overall GPA on SBCC transcripts. However, grades for external coursework are displayed in Starfish Degree Planner and may be applied toward transfer requirements. Contact an Academic Counselor for assistance. 

My transcript evaluation is complete. Do I still need to submit a degree application to graduate with an associates degree or certificate? Yes. A transcript evaluation is only a review of your external coursework. In order to apply to graduate with an associates degree or certificate you will need to submit a degree applicationContact an Academic Counselor for assistance. 

 Can I transfer coursework from a foreign/international institution to SBCC? It is possible to transfer your foreign/international coursework to SBCC. To receive transfer credit toward an SBCC degree or certificate based on international transcripts, students must provide an official evaluation of their transcripts by an independent transcript evaluation service that is a member of either the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE) or National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Go to AICE or NACES for member listings.


  1. Meet with your SBCC Academic Counselor to find out if it would be beneficial for you to apply for transfer credit. Comprehensive evaluations of international transcripts can be expensive, and may not be necessary depending upon your educational goals. Our Academic Counselors can advise you accordingly.
  2. All agencies are private organizations. It is the responsibility of the student to pay for the services rendered.
  3. You may need to request a detailed or comprehensive report that includes a course-by-course review with unit value, grade, and lower/upper division breakdown.
  4. It is important for the student to provide complete and accurate information, following the specific directions of the respective agencies.
  5. Submit the official international transcript evaluation report to the SBCC Admissions & Records Office.
  6. Follow the instructions on our How to Request an Evaluation of Coursework to submit a request to the Transcript Evaluation Office for evaluation of your international transcripts.


Starfish Degree Planner

What is Starfish Degree Planner?  Starfish Degree Planner is an online, comprehensive degree planning and academic advising tool that enables students and advisors to evaluate academic progress. See the Starfish Degree Planner page for more information.

Why are some of my external courses shown in Starfish Degree Planner with the subject "TRF" and number “999T”? SBCC assigns a direct equivalent for external coursework whenever possible. However, the course may be assigned the subject TRF and number 999T if there is no direct equivalent course at SBCC, or if the course was taken prior to Fall 2008.

When applicable, these courses may satisfy SBCC degree and certificate requirements, as well as IGETC and CSU GE requirements.

Why are some areas of the Requirements tab in Starfish Degree Planner incomplete if I took a course at a different institution that I know meets the requirement? Rarely, some external coursework may not display properly. If you think your external coursework meets degree/certificate requirements but is not on your plan please contact an Academic Counselor for assistance. 

Additional Information

Where can I find more information about prerequisite and corequisite policies?  Visit the prerequisite and corequisite page for information on completing prerequisite verification forms, frequently asked questions, processing and decision information, and more.

Where can I find more information on testing and alternatives to testing? Visit the Assessment Center for information on English and Math assessment testing, as well as alternatives to testing such as AP exam scores.

Where can I find more information about SBCC academic policies as they apply to external coursework and exams? Students are highly encouraged to review the Academic Standards and Policies section of the SBCC General Catalog.

Who can I contact if I have additional questions?

Contact the Transcript Evaluation Office (TEO) by email at*

PLEASE NOTE: The TEO does not advise students on how external coursework will apply toward their educational goals at SBCC. Contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.

*Due to a large number of requests, we cannot respond to inquiries on the processing status of evaluations submitted using the Transcript, AP, and Prerequisite Evaluation Request (TAPPER) online form. You will be contacted by TEO staff if there are any issues with your evaluation. Visit the FAQ page for more information on processing timelines. Check TAPPER for the status of your request.